This course covers the diversity of the sports industry, looking at sectors such as sports coaching, training and fitness programs, sports injuries, sports leadership and outdoor education. The course will allow students to develop skills and abilities enabling them to progress onto higher education and into employment in the Sports Industry.
Year 1 Topics studied
• Body Systems and the effects of physical activity (Exam)
• Sports Coaching and activity leadership
• Working safely in sport, exercise, health and leisure (Exam)
• Improving fitness for sport and physical activity
• Organisation of sports events
• Nutrition and diet for sport and exercise
• Health and fitness for sport and exercise
• Sports injuries and rehabilitation
Year 2 Topics studied
• Sports Organisation and development (Exam)
• Physical activity for specific groups
• Sport and business (Exam)
• Research Project
• Practical skills in sport and physical activity
• Sport and exercise psychology
• Sport and exercise sociology
• Working in active leisure facilities
This is a vocational based course which is equivalent to 3 A Levels over a 2 year period.
It involves 70% coursework and 30% externally examined content.
5 C grades at GCSE (including Maths or English)
Outside of the Classroom
Additional qualifications included on the course
• Emergency First Aid.
Possible Additional Qualification:
• NARS National Pool Lifeguard Course.
Reasons to Study this
This course is ideal if you want to pursue a career in the sports industry, such as personal trainer, sports coaching, sports development or teaching. It also allows you go onto to study a sport related course at higher education.